Grounding is a therapeutic technique that involves having contact with the Earth’s surface electrons.
Earth has a negative charge. When we make contact through grounding, we discharge our excess energy, producing a healing effect at the cellular level.
Grounding exercises are very helpful in many situations that you may find yourself in. If you are feeling overwhelmed by distressing thoughts, or are getting caught up in strong emotions, grounding exercises will help to decrease the intensity.
During a panic attack or traumatic flashback, focusing on the present can help you become calmer.
Having a selection of grounding exercises to draw upon at different times can also be very helpful.
These exercises are about using your senses – touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing.
They are used to reconnect your mind and body and anchor you in the present.
Your basic human senses remind you that you are here now and safe.
Benefits of Grounding:
- Supports and nurtures health and wellbeing
- Lowers stress
- Improves sleep
- Relieves muscle tension
- Quiets negative and distressing thoughts
- Improves mood
- Rebalances the body’s systems
- Gives you the feeling of being more centred and in control
There are many different exercises and techniques that you can use including breathing, visualisation, and sensory diffusers.
Grounding can be accomplished by doing activities that reconnect you to the earth including:
- walking barefoot outside,
- strolling along the beach,
- lying on the ground,
- submersing in water,
- sitting in the bush or at the beach listening to nature.
Here are just a few of the many exercises and techniques available to help to ground yourself in stressful situations.
- Boxed Breathing
- Breathe in for 4 seconds
- Hold for 4 seconds
- Breathe out for 4 seconds
- Hold for 4 seconds
- Current Time Technique
- Where am I right now?
- What is the day today?
- What is the date?
- What is the month?
- What is the year?
- How old am I?
- What season is it?
- 5-4-3-2-1 Coping Technique for Anxiety
- 5 things that you can hear
- 4 things that you can touch
- 3 things that you can hear
- 2 things that you can smell
- 1 thing that you can taste